Hello all! I’m Maria and I blog over at Pappa Don’t Preach. I am thrilled to be Columbia’s guest today and even more thrilled to share some fun stuff with you!
I love fitness, I love the gym, and I love my weights. This wasn’t always the case, in fact, I was quite terrified of all of the above. I know there are many just like myself. Intimidated by the gym, scared of what others will think, especially when you’re not comfortable in your own skin. It takes a lot to overcome these fears and here are just some things to get you there.
- Find the right gym. Shop around, ask your friends for recommendations, and when you begin checking out different locations, ask questions! Membership advisors should be providing you with as much information and incentives as possible, including free training sessions when signing up! They want you, so finagle when possible. Think about your schedule. When will you be going to the gym? Will you need to utilize the locker rooms and showers? Into classes? Make sure the gym you choose offers a variety at times that work for you. And last but not least – make sure the gym is CLEAN. Cleanliness is Godliness!
- Find a friend. Joining the gym with a friend or family member provides additional motivation and accountability for the both of you.
- Do your research. If muscle building is your goal, research your workouts and plan ahead. There are plenty of resources online including specific programs like Jamie Eason’s LiveFit program. READ the information, review the pictures and watch the videos for proper form. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself.
- Get a trainer. If free training sessions are included in your initial membership, take advantage of it. Trainers can become quite expensive, but purchasing sessions here and there will help you understand proper techniques and make you feel more comfortable when you navigate the gym solo.
- Find the right outfits. You’re gonna sweat, but you can still look good when you do. Wearing clothes that look good, will make you feel good and more confident. Personally, I love wearing bright colors, prints and fun sneakers. If you plan on lifting heavy, go for the Femme Fitale fitness gloves. Columbia and I are both huge fans of these funky girly gloves. You don’t have to spend tons of money at Lululemon (even though it’s worth it!) You can make your own gym tees, just like Columbia did using a tutorial from Blogilates. What a great way to make use of old tees!
- Own it. Do not be intimidated of anyone at the gym. Everyone is there for the same reason (most often than not.) There is a wide variety of members, all looking to achieve a better and healthier self. The gym is a community, and full of helpful resources in both the staff and members. Trust me, as I have developed my own family at my gym. It’s a great feeling to have others to lean on that understand your goals and objectives and are there for you when you fall.
- Ignore the Grunters. They’re just grunting to compensate for less developed areas of their body. No one cares and neither should you.
There ya go! Throw caution to the wind and do it. You’ll be so proud of all that you’ll be able to accomplish once you let go of your gym fears.
If you’re already a member of a gym, how did you choose?
Do you prefer to work out with others or fly solo?
Thanks for having me, Columbia! Hope you’ll all visit me at Pappa Don’t Peach!
Posted in Guest Post
Tagged clothing, entertainment, exercise, fashion, Fitness, fitness regimen, girly, gym, health, inspiration, motivation, pretty, savings, strength, style, women, workout, workout routine
Hey Pretty People!
I am currently looking for guest bloggers. If you are interested, please send me an email to email@example.com
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged beauty, blog, blogging, bodybuilding, cardio, clean eating, clothing, cool, entertainment, exercise, fashion, femme, Fitness, fitness regimen, Fitspiration, food, girly, groceries, guest, gym, health, healthy-living, inspiration, iphone, legs, motivation, nutrition, post, pretty, savings, skinny, strength, style, success, sweat, thin, thrifty, vitamins, weight loss, weights, women, workout, workout routine
I got this idea from Blogilates. Check out her post here.
– Old t-shirt
– Pair of scissors
TIME: 15 min
1. Cut away the crew neck the sleeves and the bottom. For the sleeves, you will want to start at the shoulder (you decide how thick you want the strap to be) and cut straight into the chest area. Then curve. If you curve the whole way, it’s gonna look weird on you.
2. Clean up the edges. Decide how low you want the neckline to be.
3. Turn the shirt to the back and make a narrower racerback. Then cut a deep V.
4. Take the bottom edge of the shirt that you cut off and cut the seams off so that you’re just left with fabric. Stretch it out as much as possible.
5. About 2″ from the bottom of the V tie a know with one edge of the noodle.
Wind it round ‘n round, then double knot it at the other end too. Cut off loose ends.
6. To make this a hi-low top, lay your shirt sideways and flat. Then starting at about 4-5″ from the front center of the shirt start diagonally cutting down til you reach the back. You’ll want to cut straight for a bit at the front center then start creating the diagonal or else you’re gonna get a weird arrow shape with you open up.
Here is the final product:
I also did another one:
Posted in fashion, Thrifty Thursdays
Tagged clothing, craft, crafty, DIY, fashion, femme, Fitness, girly, pretty, racer, shirt, style, tank, women, workout
Starting today, I will be posting themed entrys based on days of the week. I want to expand my blog topics, so I figured this would be the best way to do so. Here’s what I had in mind:
Motivational Mondays: Basically I will have some form of inpiration (more than likely from Instagram or Pinterest).
WOD Wednesdays: This will be a fun and challenging workout that I will post (as well as complete).
Thrifty Thursdays: I will be posting cool and crafty fitness that I hope will save your money 🙂
Fitness/Foodie Fridays: I will be posting fitness articles or healthy recipes that I like.
Hope you enjoy!
Posted in diet, fashion, fitness, Fitness Fridays, Fitspiration, Foodie Fridays, gym, Motivational Mondays, Thinspiration, Thrifty Thursdays, weight loss, WOD Wednesdays
Tagged bodybuilding, cardio, clean eating, clothing, diet, exercise, fashion, fat, femme, Fitness, fitness regimen, Fitspiration, food, girly, gym, health, healthy-living, inspiration, skinny, strength, style, success, sweat, thin, vitamins, weight loss, weights, women, workout, workout routine
When I got into working out with kettlebells, I started getting blisters from holding them. I’m a sucker for all things zebra print, so a quick google search led me to the Femme Fitale Fitness website. Score! They have cute fitness gloves for women who like to work out and still be pretty. Here’s the description from the website:
Work out looking like a girl in these feminine, finger-less zebra print fitness gloves for weight lifting, spin classes, ellipticals, rowing machines, Pilates, yoga, wheelchair use, etc.
**Full genuine leather palm with sueded grip. Double layer palm reduces bulk yet still protects hands from callouses while working out.
**Adjustable velcro strap for better fit, comfort wrapped for protection against rubbing.
**NOTE: SO comfortable…definitely not the average fitness glove!!
Sizing: Measure all the way around palm at knuckles…XS (approx 6″-6.5″), S (approx 6.5″-7.5″), M (approx 7.5″-8″)
If in between sizes…we recommend ordering the smaller size (in fitness gloves only).
Fits differently than golf gloves (Size XS in fitness = size S in golf, size S in fitness = size M in golf, size M in fitness = size L in golf)
Posted in fashion, fitness, gym
Tagged bodybuilding, clothing, exercise, fashion, femme, Fitness, fitness regimen, girly, gloves, gym, pretty, style, sweat, women, workout, zebra